Friday, August 31, 2007

Wherein I flee my home, and scatter the Items to the four winds


It started like any other day in our camp. I'd always known that my parents were fighting some kind of war, but I never really paid much attention to it. I mostly occupied my time by dodging my tutors and tagging along with Magras. Home had always been safe, and I guess I thought it always would be. I was wrong.


The darkness rolled through the camp, devouring everything in its path. People I knew since I could first remember disappeared in the blink of an eye. We ran, and in the chaos I was able to grab the chest. I wouldn't leave everything I knew behind.

I followed someone I barely knew as they travelled the shadow pathways, running from the jaws of the Abyss. I still had not learned to travel myself, and was stuck in their wake. The open plains of shadow were oppressive in their freedom, so when we passed through a shadow not unlike the world my Aunt had inhabited, I decided to stay. I was tired, and I just wanted to be done running. I opened up the chest, hoping to comfort myself in its confines...and it was empty.

No comments: